Thursday, June 15, 2006

Thunder Falls, Frye Rises at the WC

Ah, another day is done, and another bouquet of embarassing predictions has faded. But rosy fingered Dawn brings hope and a new day.
Argentina vs. Serbia [Imminently UnMontenegrized]. Serbia could only win if Argentina committed a series of major blunders. The Args don't ever do that. Tonight Belgrade weeps as it has not since the Battle of the Crows, for the World Cup team is officially eliminated. Prediction: Argentina 2- Serbia 0.
Netherlands vs. Cote D'Ivoire. The Dutch offer a mean treat, and the bones of the Ivorians will lie scattered on the wasted shores of the Western Sahara. Prediction: Holland 3- CIv 1
Mexico vs. Angola. El Tri dream Aztecan dreams, but La Raza hangs its collective fascist head in shame after Angola pursues a huge upset. Prediction: Angola 1- Mexico 0.
Until the aftermath, Amici

3 comments:

Tecumseh said...

Prediction: Argentina 2- Serbia 0.
OK, so it was 6-0. Is this a good prediction, or just so-so? I still can't quite tell, but I'd say it's a +0.9.

My Frontier Thesis said...

MFT weighs in on WCF:

Finally I found a World Cup game on ESPN 2.

I saw my first five-point pass and score by some Argentinian. Although I'll never recognize their names or faces again, I will concede that it was a rather graceful display of the human form. Da Vinci (Leo, not the bullshit movie) would have agreed.

In Sports Journalism Metaphor, "It was a prodigious display of swooning grace and jack-hammar precision that overcame what was divinely pre-ordained and always supposed to be."

This, in part, is how fucking wars are started.

Also: I enjoyed the NPR story I heard the other day. Thirty-five hundred known hooligans throughout Great Britain were stripped of their passports and denied entry into Deutschland. In fact, they weren't allowed to even leave their country.

I'm still trying to sort through this World Cup muddle and find some sort of meaning. Doesn't USA play Italia tomorrow? And doesn't Italia have a gestapo-saluting fascist on their team?

...I need more coffee for all of this.

mft

Anonymous said...

The magnitude was really really off, but the ration was perfect! I'm not sure it deserves a +0.9, but if you offer I'll accept.
MTF, glad you caught the Argentina game. They looked incredible...but then it has to be all down hill from here? It was beautiful play, and if the USA can play with 60% their flair and touch....