Wednesday, June 28, 2006

World Cup slate.com back-log

Upon returning from the field I find that a bit of time and at least one cup of coffee will be necessary to catch up and read over what I missed. Our good Portuguese friend is visiting Boston, and has let the reigns go anticipating full-on anarchy, or what I like to call true Libertarianism. Anyhow, here is a belated social commentary regarding Her Majesty's Fans and the You-Know-Whos:

I thought this was a nice way to put it. William Saletan: At Cambridge, you see the tea-sippers and after-dinner speakers. But in pubs and vehicles packed with football fans, you see the sort of Brits who flew the RAF missions.

5 comments:

Tecumseh said...

MFT: Welcome back from the filed trip. No sign of AA around Beantown -- maybe he's looking for JJ's sheep? And, good piece by Saletan, he knows how to write -- never met the guy, but I know one of his relatives.

Tecumseh said...

The Brits are drinking all the beer in Germany!

How about the azzurri fans? Are they sticking to ouzo, and mountain goat chasing?

My Frontier Thesis said...

Seventeen pints (I wonder if they were proper British Imperial pints?) per Anglo-Saxon... that is impressive.

I've tried to put together where AA might be. The last I saw him was along the Bozeman trail with JJ around Easter, and he mentioned to JJ that he'd be in Boston at some point this summer.

The blog-counter recorded a few hits in what looks like the Vancouver, BC area, so I wonder if AA has jumped north of Seattle to Canadian coasts.

I'll have to pull for Ghana from here on out (I better check: Ghana is still in, yes?).

Tecumseh said...

I thought Brazil eliminated Ghana, no?

My Frontier Thesis said...

Okay, that's how out of the loop I've been. Thanks for the clarification AI.