Thursday, March 30, 2006

Coanda, R.I.P.

Friends, with heavy heart I must report that a previous post abusing Henri Marie [sic] Coanda (and AI for worshipping him) has been lost. My heart is not really up to the task of recreating all my jokes, but some of the links in my deceased post were amusing.

My friends are clever. They can reconstruct the jokes on their own.

About Coanda, it is asserted by Coandites that he was the one to discover an eponymous fluid-dynamical effect. This (if it can be boiled down to just one effect) seems to me to be just viscosity with a little surface-tension thrown in, but if someone were to enlighten me on this contrarily, I would appreciate it.

At one point there was a webpage claiming Coanda had invented this effect and this has always evoked in me Xerxes' scourging and shackling the Hellespont. How else could Coanda/Xerxes bend water to his will? Wretched pun, AA?

Also, Coanda has been, uh, credited with the discovery/invention of the flying saucer. This led me to a gratuitous mocking of our glorious former leader Jimmah. It was a sweet joke, really, with a reference to Area 51 and other foolishness. Lost. All lost.

In some seriousness, all in one bang, Coanda invented the thermojet, nearly built the first monoplane, and made an extensive use of metal in its construction.

It might even have flown if he had realized the reason for the rather excessive cabin warmth.

5 comments:

Tecumseh said...

Hey, man, Coanda lives! To wit, there is even an airport named after him, the inventor of the jet engine. Powww!

Tecumseh said...

Also, don't forget solitons.

Tecumseh said...

And, as you say, flying sauvers:


He would have known about the "Coanda effect," named after a French Romanian inventor, Henri-Marie Coanda, who experimented with the first rudimentary jet engine as early as 1910. He found that a turbojet would not only provide thrust; by sucking in air, it could also create a vacuum above the wing and thereby produce extra lift.


JJ, all that ouzo clouds your otherwise sound judgment. You gotta reconsider this matter, in an objective way.

Tecumseh said...

Also, don't forget the Coanda jet fan.

And, of course, the Coanda barbecue! Powwwwwwww!!

Mr roT said...

Whooooooaaa! I'm convinced. If Condom invented the berbec then all arguments are off. Wright brothers? Hacks! Bleriot? Conard! Curtiss? Warped!

Invented the BBQ?

I stand in awe. I genuflect.

I am skeptical.