Sunday, March 26, 2006

Let's Start, Buds!

Dear e-pistoleros,

For a couple years I have thought about taking our emailing circle and making it a public blog. It seems to me that this will simplify the difficulties we have keeping track of what responses belong to what mails. It should help in reading conversations that make several bounces, or at least I hope so. Also, I think some of our old conversations were inciteful or entertaining enough to deserve rereadings and reevocations, and this is an ideal way to keep them handy and in one spot.

Several of you are in academics and probably would prefer to use a pen name, as I have. Also, as I have decided to invite people from other circles, you will see that the diversity of opinion to which you are accustomed in our discussions will increase. I hope you guys will not be overly put off by the levels of vehemence that occasionally mark these discussions. I am not a believer in Hitchens' claim that 'with heat comes light', preferring instead calm rationality. On the other hand, I think it is a natural part of disagreements that they become heated from time to time and I hope you (and I) will never get to the point that we become trolls in our own forum.

Be aware that the usual lines of communication will remain open at our usual email addresses and so private conversations will be possible still. Also, if you would prefer not to post under your own name, you may as an anonymous poster.

I find this possibility annoying, as I know all of you and so I would prefer we all chose aliases making clear at least to one another, our identities.

In closing, I hope you friends will join me in making the switch to this new venue and our discussions remain entertaining and valuable as they have been.

Best,

JJ

8 comments:

Tecumseh said...

JJ,

OK, I'm on.

AI

Mr roT said...

Terrific. Welcome.

Tecumseh said...

I see you put some links -- can I add some too,
or do you have sole control, oh, master of the blog?

Mr roT said...

I think think I can give you the privilege, but I have to look around a little.

Why not send me the links you want, for now?

My Frontier Thesis said...

Okay. Here I am too, MFT for short (go ahead and elongate on that acronym to your own liking JJ).

I recollect what Hitchens said, and I think it was in reference to the debates he was having with Galloway (this was before Galloway decided to become a reality-tv star).

I remember Barzun saying something similar, at least in the 16th-century world, where personal insults were a sort of standard when communicating theoretical ideas of contrary nature.

MFT

Mr roT said...

Who's Barzun?

The Darkroom said...

great - can't wait to immortalize out streams of invectives.

Arelcao Akleos said...

JJ, finally I got the invite. For whatever reason, if you sent one earlier it did not make it through.

By the way, Barzun [Jacques Barzun], who may or may not have recently died at age over 100, was the critter who wrote that "From Dawn to Decadence; 500 years of Western History" that Frontier Thesis and I were gabbing about a few weeks ago.