Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Geriatric Gamers

The Gaming Graybeards

Can two thirtysomethings survive on Xbox Live?
By Seth Stevenson and Chris Suellentrop
Updated Wednesday, Sept. 7, 2005, at 11:46 AM ET

Excerpt from article:

Seth: Chris, I'm fresh off our initial foray into the Xbox Live universe, and I am feeling so many new feelings. Here are the moments I enjoyed most:

1) I liked how—just so we could log on and play the shoot'em-up game Halo 2—I had to spend 10 minutes downloading ancillary programs, including something called the "Killtacular Map Pack."

2) I liked how, when we finally started, I was killed within eight seconds. Then I came back to life in another part of the game … and was again killed within eight seconds. I don't think I ever survived longer than 20 seconds. At one point I accidentally detonated something (maybe a plasma grenade) right next to myself. In that instance, I committed suicide before other players had a chance to kill me.

3) I liked when I got in the driver's seat of the "Warthog" assault vehicle and one of our remote Xbox Live teammates quickly hopped onboard and manned the turret gun, as though he expected me to drive us somewhere useful. I instead drove off a cliff and killed us both. Boy, was he surprised!

How was it for you? Notice I've left out the part where we squared off in a head-to-head match. I'll let you describe that.

Chris: I believe I defeated you 7 to 0, meaning I killed you seven times and you killed me zero. That left me falsely confident when we entered our next team match, which we lost 50-11. We started with two other teammates, but they quit halfway through, presumably despondent over being paired with two aging, 30-year-old newbies.

4 comments:

Mr roT said...

There is a gap problem for sure. I tried to get into Grand Theft Auto with Paul but found myself uninterested in accumulating points (or whatever) and happy enough to shoot innocents, steal ambulances, and tear-ass through damnation.

BTORB, however, plays something for weeks at a jag. Not sure what.

Probably for this comment my devil-may-care-the-West-is-coming-to-an-end Ouzo talisman is inappropriate. Or maybe not.

My Frontier Thesis said...

jj: you get a Killtacular for that. Outstanding.

mft

Mr roT said...

Killtacular is a lovely word.

Reminds me of the joyful mayhem in Joyce's "Killy kill killy". I hadn't made the connection while comandeering ambulances for evil with Paul.

Joyce coulda got something out of Grand Theft Auto.

My Frontier Thesis said...

There's another XBox phrase that comes to mind: "Running Riot!"