Sunday, July 02, 2006

Pale Ale, Stouts, and the Future of Beer in America

There's much to think about as far as global politics go these days: war in the mid-East. Tehran's efforts to acquire the Bomb. North Korea keeping the Japanese (and surrounding neighbors) in the dark when it comes to missile testing. Pepe's choice of undergarmets. JJ's disappearence. AA's supposed trip to Bostonia. Bin Laden still on the move. Portugal vs. Brazil.

In light of all this, I thought it a good idea to get back to what's really important, and get impressions about summer time beers and ales if anyone has been trying any.

Anheuser Busch is making corporate moves and buying up Latrobe, and they have created a new stout which, I suppose, I'll try at some point. Murphy's and Guinness still have the upper hand when it comes to Irish stout proper (and I guess stout is lower in calories than I had ever expected).

If we're to consider national beers that can be closely associated with micro-taste, I'd have to recommend at least one bottle of Samuel Adams Summer Ale. In a more regional department, I'll still enjoy Boulevard Wheat. (I'm a sucker for the wheat beers)

Let me know if you've been drinking anything new fellahs.

6 comments:

The Darkroom said...

It's always seemed to me that the most striking similarity between our countries was the shared ineptitude at manufacturing decent beer (Sam Adams excepted) and automobiles.

Are there any precedents to suggest that Anhauser-Bush's newest creation is going to be any tastier than Listerine ?

Tecumseh said...

I'll second that -- I'd hesitate to buy anything manufactured by Anheuser-Busch. OK, not quite Listerine, but my impression is what the Germans call pisswasser. About on a par with Kronenbourg in a tin can.

On the other hand, Sam Adams is no longer the only reasonably made mass-produced beer in the US (at least Northeast US). Actually, for the past year I've switched as a default beer to Harpoon -- I think it's more hoppy and tasty even than Sam. But yes, MFT, the Sam Adams summer ale is good, gotta go buy me a 12-pack soon.

BTW, I wonder what JJ drinks up there in the wilderness. Some liquid produced by mountain goats?

My Frontier Thesis said...

I suppose JJ could do what the Mongolians do, that is ferment mare's (or goat's) milk.

Tecumseh said...

And do what with the result? Drink it??

Tecumseh said...

More likely, JJ is sipping Grappa. A local substitute for ouzo.

My Frontier Thesis said...

Yeah, I've had a bit of grappa down at Di Donna's, the local Italia eatery in Bismarck.

It's probably not as good as the ouzo is for jj, but I suppose he'd take a substitute over nothing.