Thursday, January 31, 2008

Sitting Bull South of Siberia


Last night I was at some disco/bar, and while Mongolian babes gyrated on the dance floor, and while American pop songs pumped through the Chinese sound system, and while the Tiger beers from Singapore and the Mongolian Chinggis Khan vodka was flowing, I looked up on the wall and saw a framed picture of Sitting Bull. My eyes lit up, and I leaned over and told my friend Andrew to translate to the other Mongols at our table that me and my friends are acquaintences and friends with Sitting Bull's descendants. The Mongolians smiled, nodded in approval, and said so are we. We all laughed, tipped back another shot of vodka, and then I lost the feeling in my feet.

I thought it an interesting, long duration sort of connectivity with that whole Bering Straight thesis.

1 comment:

Mr roT said...

'So are we.' Fantastic. I wonder if you'd got the same response from the very Indian-looking Mexicans around Kingsville. Great.