Thursday, April 26, 2007

Calling All Mathematicians

Ai, JJ there's a question maybe you can help me with. I'm working through Sullivan's paper of '85, the one which he begins by proving the "No Wandering Domains" Theorem, and find I'm not at all clear on what he really means by "prime ends". Although much of what he brings up in that paper can be found in books on complex dynamics or low dimension manifolds, I'm not coming across anything that refers to these. Is this an idea you've come across? Is his terminology nonstandard? Thanks for any info

4 comments:

Mr roT said...

AA, I am nearly completely ignorant on this topic. All I could find (without a goddamned ref from you) is this article, limiting myself to less than one minute's search.
If you could send me said ref, I could look a bit harder.
Jesus! What would MFT say?!?! No footnotes, AA. For shame. For shame.

Mr roT said...

This schmuck knows what a prime end is. Also this one.

My Frontier Thesis said...

Historically, AA's footnoting has been dubious at best.

Tecumseh said...

AA: I don't know much about this, but do take a look at No wandering domain theorem on wiki -- as you'll see from the history, yours truly made some tweaks there at some point (the guy who first wrote the article had no idea who Dennis Sullivan was!)