Wednesday, April 25, 2007

The Stiff Upper Lip on America


"...surrender may be the keyword here. What, for instance, is this dismal rush to lower the national colors all the damned time? At times of real crisis and genuine emergency, such as the assault on our society that was mounted almost six years ago, some emotion could be pardoned. But even then, the signs of sickliness and foolishness were incipient (as in Billy Graham's disgusting sermon at the National Cathedral where he spoke of the victims being 'called into eternity'). If we did this every time, the flag would spend its entire time drooping."

You can take the Hitch out of Great Britian, but you can't take the Stiff Upper Lip out of a Brit.

6 comments:

Mr roT said...

There was some serious slop in that famous Brit lip when those schmucks got captured by Iran. But, he's right. I hate all this maudlin stuff. "Wtf are the flags at half-staff for this time" I find myself asking all the time now.

My Frontier Thesis said...

I remember the flags around Bismarck being half-mast (or limp?) for President Ford's death for at least a couple weeks, maybe more. WTF is right.

Mr roT said...

C'mon. He was at least a president. What about now that we're in National Mourning (for the VT kids?)?

My Frontier Thesis said...

He was a president, not a King. I can see lowering the flag for the day before, during and after the funeral. After that, it starts delving into worship. C'mon JJ, where's your iconoclastic tendency?

I didn't realize the country remained in mourning for VT. How absurd was it to ring the V-Tech bell 33 times instead of just 32? (the final ring was for Cho!?!).

And so the Age of Absurdity continues to unfold...

Arelcao Akleos said...

an ugly flowering it is

Mr roT said...

I have never been an iconoclast, mft. I am much more an iconoclastclast.