Monday, November 17, 2008

Extreme Ales and the Baltimore Hub


Drunken howler monkeys riding drunken Indian elephants through local villages?

Calagione sent Gasparine back to Paraguay with an order for forty-four hundred board feet of palo santo. “I told him to get a shitload,” he remembers. “We were going to build the biggest wooden barrel since the days of Prohibition.”

I've had a Dogfish beer in an uber-Yuppie suburb of Denver. A 12-ounce bottle ran $8.00. I remember not asking about price before ordering two (for a co-worker and myself), and handing the bartender a $20. She returned with four bucks, and I said, "Did I give you a $10?" She said, "No." I responded with, "Oh," and drank my eight dollar Dogfish Ale while some jazz band played softly, and others in the outfit pretended to read Nietzsche and hit on girls who enjoyed being hit on by Yuppies who pretended to read Nietzsche. It was culture.

No comments: