Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Where is John Brown when you need him?

Or, for that matter, William Tecumseh Sherman? What we get, instead, is this: Before the eyes of the world, a leading citizen of the Netherlands begs the legislature of Europe to protect her against assassins whose declared goal is the destruction of Europe’s liberties as well as its civilization. The Dutch government turns its back. Europe’s Parliament listens politely and refers the matter to committee. And this: Stripped of casuistry, he proposed that Muslim women subject to forced marriages, genital mutilation, or domestic violence should be handed over to Muslim religious courts, rather than be offered the protection of English Common Law. To my knowledge, this is the first time that one of Europe’s spiritual leaders has proposed to abandon innocent victims to their fate. Versailles in all its glory.

3 comments:

My Frontier Thesis said...

And it is important to distinguish (as Spengler does) Geert Wilders from the fascist Le Pen's of Europe. In the intellectual tradition, Wilders is a traditional liberal, the equivalent to a contemporary Voltaire, or Hume, or Franklin, whereby civil discourse is the way. Yet Islam Militant does not see it like that. Le Pen's views on Jews falls into accord with Islam Militant (or even Islam light).

In the words of Wilders: "As a liberal, I feel close to the conservatives and liberals, but I am not sure they want to cooperate with me. I definitely would not like to work with [Jean-Marie] Le Pen [of France] and like-minded parties - fascists - in whose category many people mistakenly place my party."

Tecumseh said...

Le Pen is not Versailles -- but rather, your typical Vichy whore. At any rate, his 15 minutes of fame are up now, I don't think he represents much of France anymore. And, in all honesty -- let's give credit where credit is due -- note that some French politicos have pushed for giving Hirsi Ali asylum in France. I don't know who they are, but I hope that they are successful, and France can show it still cares about human rights. I won't hold my breath, but I'll wait and see. Actions speak louder than words.

My Frontier Thesis said...

Vichy and whore are synonomous terms, yes?

Anyhow, the infidel and atheist and politician and intellectual Ayaan Hirsi Ali can hang out in the United States as long as she needs to. I think she's still living here, protected by armed guards as well.

Okay, found her. She's currently a resident scholar and fellow at the American Enterprise Institute for Public Policy Research.

Keep up the good fight, Ayaan.