Friday, May 12, 2006

Harvard's Reds have the Blues

In Cambridge, they think we are due for another Civil War.

Senator Brinton shows a lot more intestinal fortitude than the previous Democratic candidates for president who, in the book's retelling, meekly allowed themselves to be cheated out of the presidency.

"I want to keep fighting," Senator Brinton declares. "I want the Presidency with every fiber of my being - I want it for the Party, for our people who've been beaten down . . . I'm afraid that if I concede now, and I run again next time, they'll steal the election again. If they steal election after election, we have no choice but to not accept it. I'll not back down; I'll not concede like those soft men who were candidates before me conceded."
[..]
Walking around Harvard Yard, however, one may get a different sense. Sometimes it must seem like Paris in 1789 with all the politically inspired fury sprouting up among the lattes. But if Harvard professors want to storm the Bastille--or start a civil war--they'll have to do it themselves. And that's not very likely. After all, they don't even want Army recruiters on campus.

Allons enfants de Cambridge
Le jour de gloire est arrivé
Contre nous de la tyrannie
L'étendard sanglant est levé
Entendez vous sur le Charles
Mugir ces féroces soldats
Ils viennent jusque dans vos bras,
boir du Bourbon avec vos compagnes
Aux armes citoyens! Formez vos bataillons!
Marchons, marchons,
Jusqu'au Square Louisbourg,
Qu'un latte impur abreuve nos sillons.

2 comments:

Mr roT said...

pretty damned funny, AI.

My Frontier Thesis said...

If the Civil War goes down, Bill O'Reilly and Michael Moore will represent the top of the Civil War generalship... Both are good at bitching at how wonderful America used to be, and like any good generals, both rarely criticize their followers. It's always someone else.