Friday, September 15, 2006

Shoulda stuck to fighting the war on potatos

Here's a letter I sent him 3 years ago. Didn't get an answer:

From Representative Bob Ney's website:
March 11, 2003
WASHINGTON D.C. -
In a symbolic effort to show their support for American troops protecting freedom abroad and their displeasure with France's continued refusal to stand with its U.S. allies, U.S. Rep. Bob Ney (OH-18), Chairman of the Committee on House Administration, today responded to a letter circulated by U.S. Rep. Walter Jones (NC-03), and ordered that "French fries" be removed from all restaurant menus in the three House office buildings and be replaced with "freedom fries". Chairman Ney directed this change, as well as the new term, "freedom toast", instead of "French toast", in a letter to the House Chief Administrative Officer who supervises restaurant operations in the House.

Dr XXX
New Orleans, LA 70115

New Orleans, March 12th 2003,

Dear Congressman Ney,
As a Frenchman residing in the United States, I would like to express my profound gratitude for your efforts at dissociating our nation from the greasy organic matter that so many of your compatriots seem to enjoy ingesting daily. As you know, we pride ourselves in the quality of our food and find it intolerable that lardy potato scraps be identified as having anything to do with our heritage.

May I suggest that you further extend your important efforts to "French dressing", a nauseating salad mix that is also entirely foreign to our culinary art ?

Thank you again and best wishes,

Duplicates of this letter were also emailed to Reps Saxton and Jones, co-masterminds of the War on Potatos.

6 comments:

Mr roT said...

Wonderful, Pepe. I remember Woody Allen chiming in about that time in the vein of "If it were not for the French, how would I French kiss my wife?" To which I sent along a rude rejoinder,"You mean your daughter."
I didn't get any nude pictures of Barbara Hershey from Hannah and Her Sisters days.
Assholes can be so touchy.

Mr roT said...

I don't have to 'freedom-kiss' my wife when what I really want to do is French-kiss her.
Woody Allen
Here.

The Darkroom said...

I ran into Isosceles. He had a great idea for a new triangle!

i am pissing on myself... thanks jj

The Darkroom said...

US Representative Bob Ney, an Ohio Republican, is facing more than two years in prison after becoming the first lawmaker to admit criminal conduct ...

Sounds like he's going to need freedom fries more than ever...

Tecumseh said...

I thought only Dan Quayle spelled potatoes, potatos. But perhaps that's how patates are transliterated into English?

I, for one, think the Belgians are the best at cooking pommes frites. Why not call them "Belgian fries"?

The Darkroom said...

Why not call them "Belgian fries"?

Why not, indeed.