Monday, April 03, 2006

"Never make fun of North Dakota."

Dave Barry, "Flowing Grand Forks tribute warms the heart"

Barry: Never make fun of North Dakota. Because the North Dakotans will invite you, nicely but relentlessly, to visit, and eventually you'll have to accept.

...Without question the most memorable experience I had in Grand Forks was a public ceremony in which a municipal sewage pumping station was formally named after me. I am not making this up. They took me in a limousine to the station, where more than 100 people had gathered, despite that the temperature was an estimated 8,500 below zero.

2 comments:

Mr roT said...

MFT, did you attend?

My Frontier Thesis said...

I was still living in the Twin Cities when they christened the sewage pump station, but I celebrate Barry's insights, so I would have attended and clapped (whoop-whoop-whoop) with my chopper-mittens.